Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Things to miss...or not

I am sitting on a bus destined for the Oaugadougou, the capital city of Burkina Faso. I have completed my first year as a teacher along with my first year abroad away from my family and the lifestyle I grew up with. Being on the verge of go back to America after living a very simple life for the past year, I find myself thinking about the things from the states that I really missed, and other things that I thought I would miss but found rather easy to live without. 

Grinding coffee keeps me in shape
Here is a list of things I definitely missed and anxious to enjoy during my three weeks in the states:

Ice cream: All things cold were missing from my life for the past year. Ice cream, being the king of all things cold, is going to be quite the treat. 

Golf: In a country without lawns, I expect to have a new appreciation for trimmed fairways and greens.

Hot tubs: the idea of sitting in hot water is appalling in the heat of Africa, but being in cool Michigan air craving to soak my body in hot water will be quite the contrast to my experience in village. Such a contrast should be appreciated. 

Sports Center: During long hot nights in my bed at night, I dream of the theme song… da ne neh, da ne neh.

White people: My celebrity like status in village is quite taxing. I look forward to being ignored and blending in. 

Carpet: I miss the touch, soft to the feet- and clean. 

Guitar is still difficult
Things you’d think I’d miss but haven’t:

Air conditioning: Okay, climate control is nice, but sleeping under the stars in nothing but basketball shorts and a light blanket is something I have grown to love. 

Indoor plumbing: Some inherently dirty acts, such as pooping, are best done outdoors. When using indoor plumbing, I now feel that I am doing an outdoor activity indoors. I expect someone to slap my hand and berate me for dirtying the inside of a house.  

 
Junk food: Food in plastic packaging just seems to be extra work. Almost everything I buy comes straight from the gardens. I also have no other way to get food.

When it comes down to it, food is food, comfort is comfort, and luxuries are luxuries. They are merely things. Even my yearning for pints and pints of Ben and Jerry’s is nothing compared to my excitement to see my family and friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment