Friday, March 25, 2011

Only in Africa

The day of a math test, a student approached me saying he couldn’t take the test. 

“Why?” I asked. 

He showed me his hand – his writing hand. 

Due to a parasite, it was swollen and black. He was partially correct. There was no way he could use his normal hand to write. 

I was faced with a decision. His hand may never get better. If that is the case, he will have to learn how to write with his other hand. 

“You are going to take the test.” I said. “Use your off hand and don’t worry about time or penmanship.

I told him he could finish the test at my house over lunch if he failed to finish on time. I gave him computer paper allowing him more space to work. He finished on time with a passing grade. Too tough? I think not.

Add parasites to the long list of obstacles facing education in Loumana:

1.      80+ kids per class
2.       Limited textbooks
3.       Classes taught in a second language
4.       Strikes
5.       No lights*
6.       Parasite infested limbs

*Working on solution in soon to be introduced solar panel project. Keep an eye out for it on my blog and Facebook in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty neat. Today your dad was talking about parasites in Zoology class. He mentioned that he's concerned for you over there. I thought that was just interesting that you would both encounter parasites on the same day but on separate continents!

    ~Rebecca C.

    ReplyDelete